An article is a flexible content item that can contain:
- code blocks
- embedded images and videos
- embedded applets
- embedded assessments (of all types)
An article is a flexible content item and fits a variety of purposes. It can contain instructional text, code blocks, embedded images and videos, applets, as well as embedded assessments (of all types). An article is different from a lesson in that all of an article is presented on a single screen, unlike a lesson which is broken up into smaller chunks.
Place in Content
Fields in Author
All of the following fields are required in Author:
- Title: This generates an H1 tag for the article page.
- Description: This creates an H2 tag for the article page.
- Credited Authors: The creator(s) of the article.
- Minutes to Complete: An estimate on time required by an average learner to complete the article.
- Article Body: The article's narrative. This field supports Markdown.
The following fields require no action on your part:
- Assessment List: As you embed assessments in your article, this list will be automatically populated to contain the assessments that are in the article. An assessment must be published in order to add it to the article. You can learn more about creating individual assessments here.
- Learning Standards List: This is a field that Codecademy curriculum developers use to associate learning with assessments. You can ignore this.
- Categories List: This is a field that Codecademy curriculum developers use to publish articles outside of a course or Path. You can ignore this.
- Access Control Toggle: Curriculum developers use this field to determine whether a Free or Pro audience has access to this article. You can ignore this.
There are many different types of articles. Here are some examples:
- Video Article: XML in Android
- Introduction to New Material Article: Python With Databases, Python User Input
- Code Challenge Article: Python Code Challenge: Lists
- Off-Platform Setup Article: Installing Phaser Locally
If you want to see everything in one place, Mariel's Demo Article.